Pages

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Goodbye Earth, pt. 7

Goodbye Earth
Page Seven

The guide was in tears.

"Everyone, we just can't allow pets!" she exclaimed, waving her arms in despair. Then she looked up. “I'm going to be left to die. So, for me, stop complaining about your animals. It just makes me feel terrible. Anyway, there will be animals on the ship raised for livestock,” she murmured, and left the room. I silently gave everyone a glance, and in an effort to make friends, I said to the girl, “I’m sorry about your bird. What’s his name?”

She barely looked up, and grabbed me in a hug, just as Jerri had done.

“His name’s Kakos,“ she said, wiping her tears away.

“My cat’s name is Chunky and I saved him out of a gutter,” I said.

“Oh really?” she forced a smile, “I saved my bird from a gutter too.”

“That’s great," I said sadly.

“I’ll see you tomorrow!” said the girl. Quietly, I walked out of the complex and jumped into the backseat of the pickup.

“How’d it go?” asked Peace, turning toward me and trying to appear comforting.

“Horrible, just like everything else surrounding this. Everybody was sad and mournful,” I replied.

“I’m so sorry about that, Star. I really am,” she said, wrapping her arm around me. I leaned on her back.

My dad then brought up his 2 cents on the situation.

“It's not going to happen!” he shouted, and pounded the dashboard.

I looked down and thought in my mind angry phrases about my father’s weirdness. He was only trying to comfort himself by convincing himself that nothing was going to happen. I sighed and leaned back in my seat. A very quiet ride ensued. At last, we arrived back at home where Chunky walked up to me meowing happily. I petted him and pretended to be happy about seeing him. I mean I was happy, but it felt like I was seeing him for the last time. I went inside and swaggered into the small kitchen. I looked in the phonebook for Tarantelly. I dialed the number.

“Hello?” answered a woman’s voice, sounding strained and slightly angry.

“Hi this is Star Arusta and can I talk to Jerri? I think you met me at track,” I said.

“Oh yes, Star, I'll get her,” Mrs. Tarantelly replied, her voice sounding a little uplifted.

“Hello?” Jerri’s voice asked

“Hey Jerri, its Star,” I said.

“Oh hi, Star! Guess what? I can see you tomorrow! I’m so happy, even though I won’t see you again,” Jerri said excitedly.

“Yeah. Okay. Just come to my house at 9 in the morning so we can have time to hang out before a limo comes to pick me up and bring me to the lift off station at 12 P.M, okay?” I said.

“Mom! Can I walk over there for 9 in the morning?” she yelled. There was a pause.

“Yeah, okay, I’ll be there tomorrow,” Jerri said.

“See you later Jerri,” I said.

“Tra la!”

I put down the phone, and then hit the redial button.

Come back to bluepencildiaries.blogspot.com tomorrow for the next page of Goodbye Earth!

No comments: