Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Goodbye Earth, pt. 9

Goodbye Earth
Page Nine
This page, like several others prior, include two days. Recall this throughout reading to avoid confusion.

Peace hugged me. I was beginning to feel like there was a hugging overload going on lately. The doorbell buzzed. On the porch stood Jerri, clutching her suitcase.

“Come right on in, Jerri,” I said. She stepped inside the house, beaming, and put down her suitcase.
"So, let's get this party started," she said.
Sunday, December 13, 2012

In the morning, I awakened to see my grandmother puttering around my room.

“Oh hi Grandma!” I nervously said.

“Good morning Star!” she said, her earrings jangling, “Grandma came all the way from down south to see you go away!”

I sat up in my pajamas. “Um, thanks for making the visit.” I could see now that Jerri was waking up and staring at my grandmother.

“Grandma, this is my friend Jerri. Jerri, this is my grandma,” I said politely.

“Oh Star you're finally making some friends up here! Isn’t it wonderful!” Grandma yelled. I felt myself turning deep scarlet. My grandmother had given away the fact that I was a lame, friendless nerd!

“Isn’t Jerry a boy name, little girl? Don’t your parents have a noodle up there?” Grandma asked, smiling and clutching Jerri’s face.

“Well, yeah it is a boy name. My name is spelled with an “I”, not a “Y”.” Jerri responded. Grandma gave me a giant hug and Grandpa walked in.

“Hiya little lady! How old is the Lil’ astronaut now? 14?” he bellowed.

"I’m only 12,” I responded, looking down at my tall, wiry body which often created the illusion of added years.

“How does my little lady feel about going up high into the wild blue yonder?” Grandpa asked.

“Okay,” I mumbled.

“Oh Patrick, you big butt head! Shut up and don’t make her feel bad!” croaked Grandma, hitting Grandpa in the leg.

“Starlet, Grandma understands how ya’ feel about leaving your momma and them! You gotta make the best out of nothing sometimes!” Grandma said.
Suddenly the door to my bedroom opened. My paternal grandmother walked in.

“Are you two... Star's maternal grandparents?" she asked.

“Yes," said Grandpa, "I don't believe we've ever met."

Grandma Arusta stared intently at my grandmother.

“My husband died just one year after his son married your little girl!" Grandma Arusta said accusingly.

“Oh, what are you trying to say?" "That wasn't our fault," snarled my maternal grandmother.

Grandma A. turned from my other grandma and looked at me.

“Oh and my little shining Star,” she murmured, “The little girl with the prophetic name!” Grandma A. stroked my unpleasantly pimpled forehead.

Then Mom walked into the room.

“Oh hello, Mrs. Arusta, it’s nice to see you,” Mom said, smiling faintly.

“Halloo,” Grandma A. mumbled.
“Breakfast is ready, everyone!” Mom sang, and smiled widely.

“Well, I just came to say goodbye before I died, so I’d better be catchin’ that taxi cab!” said Grandma A.

I sat in the limousine, along with my grandparents, parents, Peace, and Jerri.

“Fred, aren’t you proud that you married a girl who produced an innovation to the Space Age?” my Grandpa asked.

“Well,” said my dad, “I don't believe it's going to occur. I also don't think that NASA believes that. Therefore, I really have no pride on this day!”

Come back to bluepencildiaries.blogspot.com tomorrow for the next page of Goodbye Earth!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What the heck is that supposed to mean.....you married a girl who produced an innovation to the Space Age?

Anonymous said...

It means that his daughter was the first to do this. In space.